A U-shaped kitchen consists of work space on three adjoining walls, two parallel walls perpendicular to a third. There are no traffic lanes flowing through the work area.
The base of the U-shaped kitchen is best when it is 10-18 feet wide.
A U-shaped kitchen can have legs as long as you want. You will need to divide that elongated leg into different work sites for efficient use.
U-Shaped Kitchen Benefits
- Efficient for a small, medium or large kitchen space
- Can easily divide the kitchen into multiple work sites
- No through traffic to disrupt work zones
- Lots of counter space
- Wide "U" can support a kitchen island
- Not efficient for large kitchens without an island
- Not efficient for kitchens under 10-feet wide
- Bottom corner cabinets are difficult to access
Placing the Work Triangle
The basic kitchen work triangle is best placed along the base of the "U" unless a kitchen island is present. Then the island should house one of the three elements.