But how do you layout an efficient kitchen? You start with a good work triangle.
In the traditional kitchen the three main work sites are:
- Refrigerator - the cold storage work site
- Sink - the cleaning/preparation work site
- Stove - the cooking work site
These represent the three points of the kitchen work triangle. If you place these too far away from each other you waste a lot of steps while preparing a meal. If they are too close to each other you have a cramped kitchen with out any place to work.
Kitchen Work Triangle Basics
- Each leg of the triangle should be between 4 and 9 feet
- The total of all three legs should be between 12 and 26 feet
- No obstructions (cabinets, islands, etc.) should intersect a leg of the work triangle
- Household traffic should not flow through the work triangle