Soothing your eyes can bring quick relief during a bout of eye strain
. A regular soothing regimen can also help treat eye strain.
1. SleepSleeping always relaxes the eyes. If that is not practical, closing your eyes and resting for 5 minutes can help.
2. Dim Harsh Lighting and ColorLower your surrounding light levels or move into the shade while following these remaining tips. Find a spot with neutral or pastel colors as well. If you suffer from chronic eye strain, you should probably avoid wearing bright colors.
3. Cold WaterSplash your face with cold water. Try extremely cold water with ice cubes if you can stand it. Splash it on your face for 3 to 7 minutes. Also splash the back of your neck as well. If you can, use a cold compress or an eye mask that you keep in the refrigerator or freezer.
4. Steaming TowelIf cold water does not work, try a steaming towel just like you get during a facial. One prepared with menthol or eucalyptus oil can be quite refreshing.
5. Tea Bags and Cucumber SlicesBeauty tips like placing tea bags or cucumber slices on your eye lids do help soothe them. Your eyes will get some relief. A cold compress is more effective however.
6. Stay HydratedDrink plenty of water and avoid caffeinated and sweetened drinks. Good hydration is the key to good health and lack of fluid in your body can strain your eyes and everything else.
7. Lubricate Your EyesKeep your eyes lubricated. Staying hydrated is the first step. For temporary help, use artificial tears, not eye drops. If you have a more chronic condition, consult your optician. You can also try taking flaxseed oil, it can provide relief for dry eyes with 2,000 milligram dose per day after 3 to 4 weeks.
8. Don't Sleep in ContactsEven if you have contacts that you can sleep in, you shouldn't. They will dry your eyes out to some degree and stress your eyes even while sleeping.
9. Stretch Your NeckDo some neck stretches with your eyes closed. Eye strain is usually coupled with neck strain and relieving one will help the other. It will also increase blood flow which will help everything.
10. Massage Your FaceGive yourself a quick facial massage. Rub your cheek bones, your forehead and your temples. Much like the neck stretches, it will increase blood flow and relax surrounding muscle groups.