Benefits to Organization
The benefit to companies and other organizations include:
- Less skill – most anybody can use a computer with a well designed GUI, so where computers use to only benefit the technically savvy and highly paid expert they now benefit almost everyone.
- Higher Productivity – I once watched a gentleman born in the 1920 put together a user’s manual. It was about 40 pages. He took two months working with a pair of scissors, a bottle of glue and a typewriter. When he was done he handed off to the graphic artist who digitized it, prettied it up and readied it for printing in two days. You can do complicated things quickly with a computer.
Benefits to Individuals
The benefits to you include:
- Greater Accessibility – you have more capability at your cursor tip
- Lower Cognitive Lode – By having everything laid out in front of you, you don’t have to remember a lot of mundane things (like the proper formatting and the list of text commands needed to copy a document). The GUI takes care of most of that freeing up your mental processing power for the important stuff.
- Higher Productivity – when you get down to it the GUI is all about productivity.